ActionAid is an international organisation, working with over 25 million people in more than 45 countries for a world free from poverty and injustice. Global Platform El Salvador is a part of ActionAid Denmark.
ActionAid Denmark is seeking a qualified person to fill the position of Global Platform El Salvador Manager for a contract period of 3 years.
Global Platform concept
The Global Platforms provide innovative trainings and capacity development
for young people to lead social, political and economic change around the world.
Located in the regions where we can make a significant impact, ActionAid Global Platforms convenes a global network of locally managed, vibrant youth hubs offering a physical space for youth to meet, discuss and act together - a place where young people can exchange ideas with other peers in their efforts to create social change. We have a global pool of international, highly skilled young trainers, and through our Activista global youth movement we engage with thousands of youth volunteers aspiring to create social change in more than 25 countries. Currently we have Global Platforms in Denmark, El Salvador, Bangladesh, Kenya, Ghana, Zambia, Myanmar, Jordan and Palestine.
Please read more about global platforms here: http://www.globalplatforms.org/
The post location is Suchitoto, 1,5 hour from San Salvador in El Salvador
Start Date: End of June 2017 or soonest hereafter.
Working everywhere in Central-America, the Global Platform El Salvador is in the country side of El Salvador, just 1 hour 30 minutes from the capital city San Salvador.
The Platform is in the cultural and historic town of Suchitoto; a town with many grassroots organizations working on improving the conditions in the country, it is still one of the strongest places for organizations and social work in the country. Due to the recent Salvadoran Civil War, which lasted until 1992, the people of El Salvador are highly engaged in and opinionated about local and national politics. Currently El Salvador is in one of the areas in the world that clearly shows inequality, not only on economic resources, but also in terms of human rights, gender, poverty, violence, and exclusion.
The Global Platform in El Salvador has a large pool of over 20 very experienced young trainers, including 3 Spanish teachers. With input from a highly active network of youth activists from Activista, the platform is linked up with several grassroots organizations, creating unity and real structural changes.
The key responsibilities areas
- Develop annual and quarterly work plans, budgets for the GP;
- Provide guidance and support to development of project concept notes, proposals that focus on youth engagement;
- Overall guidance and support to ensuring training quality, effectiveness and contextualising to El Salvador and the region;
- Maintain regular contact with line managers in AADK;
- Supervision and management of the GP Team. Establishing a team spirit and ownership of the work of the Global Platform among GP staff.
Network and partnership development
- Development of strategic partnerships and networks with (I)NGO and related institutions to promote GP Business modalities, within the agreed AADK Framework
- Ensure the GP is proactive and can facilitate the required capacity development for AAP partners;
- Identify potential partners in the country/region with whom longer term programme partnerships can be developed.
- Overall responsibility for the financial management, compliance of GP which includes development of annual budgets, monthly accounting and quarterly reporting in line with AA processes and guidelines and reporting to AADK.
Eligible applicants are required to have the following qualifications and skills:
- Strong leadership and management skills, experience with intercultural, participatory and horizontal leadership
- A high degree of maturity and trust in own abilities
- Able to make independent decisions, while respecting the input and position of others.
- Good at building relations and diplomacy
- High degree of tenacity and interest in youth work in El Salvador
- Innovative and entrepreneurial mind-set
- Strong analytical skills and good political judgment is a must
- Experience with and ability to work within a team, some years of people management experience
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender
- Fluent in English and Spanish both verbal and written
- Previous experience from working in the region or another GP is an advantage
- Previous experience in working with youth volunteer programs, social movements or mobilization of young people
- Experience in peer to peer learning, participatory training methods and action research is desirable
- Relevant Educational Background
If you are interested in applying for this position, please apply via the attached link/button no later than 30th of May 2017. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Should you have any questions, please forward them to Mads Joergensen, Head of Training4Change, ActionAid Denmark at firstname.lastname@example.org
Monthly Salary: DKK 18.128, subject to local tax.
Pension: 10% of the salary.
You will pay local tax of the salary.
Housing allowance provided.
See more on employment conditions here: http://llk.dk/leekaz
Women are encouraged to apply.